An odd sequence

This includes matters relevant to the history of astrology, as well as the birth of Countries, Territories, States and Cities.

Moderator: scorpio

Ogier

An odd sequence

Post by Ogier »

Hello everyone. :)
I'm new in this forum.
Recently in my Region (Friuli, Italy) an old fresco from XV century came to the light, representing the signs of the zodiac (including Ophiucus). The odd is that the sequence is not the “normal” one. Surely, there must be a reason for that, but what reason?
Here’s the odd sequence: Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Libra, Gemini, Virgo, Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Pisces, Ophiuchus.
Is there someone in this forum who could help me solve the mistery?
Many thanks in advance. :D

Ogier
admin
Site Admin

Re: An odd sequence

Post by admin »

Hi Ogier and Welcome!
This is very exciting. Ophiuccus is a constellation I've been very interested in for quite some time - along the lines of its being the '13th Sign'. (Way too much to go into here).
Have done a 'brief' search but so far haven't been able to find any pics of the fresco - will continue the search. Or... can you post some...or, give a web address where such pics are shown? Would VERY much appreciate it.
Meanwhile, re the sequence of signs, I can't immediately see why this sequence appears so - it certainly is 'odd' ! And so I think it would be important to have a 'visual' of the image as the signs might be arranged in a particular pattern that might give more clues.
Thanks for this really interesting post!
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Ogier

Post by Ogier »

Hello.
Of course you did not find any news about the subject. It's an unpublished news and I am studying it personally and no one else :wink:
Yes, I've written a couple of articles on local newspaper, but you may consider it a forgotten subject, by now.
I'll post a picture of the fresco as soon as I can.
Greetings :mrgreen:

Ogier
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

Hello Ogier

I am not too sure where in Italy this place is. Is it possible that you could either post a photo of the fresco or give the URL of a site where we can view this? As I am an historian, anything to do with the history of astrology fascinates me - so I hope we can go further with this - I too have seen the signs out of order in ancient texts and frescoes.
Ciao!
Ogier

Post by Ogier »

It' a pleasure for me to post the picture (thanks to the admin for his kind indications :) ).
The area in Italy where the fresco has been discovered is Friuli, North-East, Venice to Slovenia. The town is Pordenone.
The time in which the fresco was painted (mid XV century), the town was under the rule of Austria and probably the client itself of the fresco was an austrian ruler. May all this be useful?
The last but one picture should be a Capricorn without the head. :(
If you need a copy with a higher definition, please write me a MP
Many thanks for your help.
Ciao :mrgreen:
an odd sequence
an odd sequence
odd_sequence.jpg (81.87 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
Ogier

Post by Ogier »

Sorry :oops: , the beheaded Capricorn is the third last... :?
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

Hmmm. Very interesting. I wonder if the fresco painter just didn't know what sequence they were supposed to be in. Only the elite and the clergy would have had any real knowledge of astrology in those days as education was only given to the highest ranks of society and the church by the church. So not many people would know the correct sequence.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I wonder if the fresco painter just didn't know what sequence they were supposed to be in. Only the elite and the clergy would have had any real knowledge of astrology in those days as education was only given to the highest ranks of society and the church by the church. So not many people would know the correct sequence.
Yes Scorpio...have to say that that thought occured to me too. Does seem to be the most likely reason.
But, am still intrigued as to why the Ophiuccus was added. Am still 'on the trail' and won't give up until I find ...something, tho' this could take...much time, of course. :roll:
It intrigues me ...moltissimo !!!
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Ogier

Post by Ogier »

Yes, the same thought occurred to me. :)
But the client was a judge-captain... I don't know. :?
I remember hearing that somewhere an odd astrological sequence was painted referred to the dates of birth of the components of the family (servants included). I supposed that even in this very case it could be a sensible sequence, if not referred to the dates of birth, maybe to something else... but what else? :roll:
Anyway, many thanks for your kind answers. :D
I'll keep you posted.
Ogier
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

That is interesting Ogier. Presumably they could be the family's Rising Signs as people being known by their Sun Signs didn't become popular until Victorian times.