Mersenne's Miscelleny

Do not feed the ego.

Moderator: Mersenne

Mersenne

Re: Mersenne's Miscelleny

Post by Mersenne »

Hi James,

Check "tautology". A must equal A (A=A) before any progress can be made. Definition is tautology or it's unsuccessful.

I've given a definition of an infinity that doesn't involve an infinity. I did so because you were dissatisfied with the "one more number" definition, which itself doesn't, and really ought to do. Play off one chum's failure to understand it against another and you get the "all Cretans are liars" effect, which certainly doesn't invalidate logic. The "limit as x goes to of 1/x" definition is perfectly rigorous, but "infinitely divisible" really is not the same as infinity.

But OK, here's another (I did touch on this); by projection of a point on a sphere to the Cartesian plane by the line through point and North Pole, the projection of the North Pole itself lies at infinity.

Computing is non-rigorous, it's a series of heuristics. A statement such as "A=A+1" is permitted even though it's mathematical nonsense. Check out Turin's argument for incompleteness for the proper use of a computing metaphor (which uses infinities).

The microverse theory is very attractive to me- Carl Sagan suggested that every electron is a universe. CERN to the Hague!

The atomists' imagination failed them. Even their universe containd infinitesimal points; so would your chequerboard universe (at the corners!).

My point on quanutum physics is that a universe grainy at the smallest level of time and space needs an infinite dimensional Hilbert Space to exist. That's what the maths says. Fail to supply the infinity and you can't have your quantum chequerboard Universe. You continue to be in denial.
See on this Forum:
Mersenne’s Astrological Statistics & Datasets
Mersenne’s Microcosm
Mersenne’s Transneptunians
bablibinjola

Post by bablibinjola »

I want to know is there any place to study the art of ALCHEMY. I am really curious to study this subject in detail, which is the best institutions, schools or online tutorial to learn it. My mother doesn't allows me to do a research on it as she things it is impossible to change one thing into another. She does not believe in energies and spiritualism. What should I do?
Mersenne

Post by Mersenne »

Hi bablibinjola,

Please excuse the late reply.

Listen to your mother, she sounds wise. The aim of the historical alchemists was the transformation of the self, not of base matter- the whole "lead to gold" thing was symbolic of this process. Regrettably, the greed of man diverted effort into the impossible physical attempt. This lead to a legacy of wasted money and mercury poisoning.

The value of alchemy was identified by Carl Gustav Jung as a symbolic representation of the psyche. As such, the study of alchemy is really justified only as an aspect of Jungian psychology. That being said, psychology is certainly a worthy pursuit. Get hold of this from your library:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Alch ... ng+alchemy

I think you'll find it interesting.

Regards,

Mersenne.
See on this Forum:
Mersenne’s Astrological Statistics & Datasets
Mersenne’s Microcosm
Mersenne’s Transneptunians