Christian Astrology

This area of the forum is for Western and Vedic astrology discussions. Please post personal issues in the appropriate forum area.

Moderator: Noel Eastwood

3407LOVE

Christian Astrology

Post by 3407LOVE »

Hell Low from Heaven High ...
my internet name is 3407
I'm new to the 4um
and astrology.

I wish to ask about "Christian" [or Judeo-Christian] astrology.
Any information that anyone has regarding biblical references [like Daniel or Job] to astrology
from scriptural texts.

:?:
admin
Site Admin

Re: Christian Astrology

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome 3407LOVE,

I would suggest that you type in your search engine such as 'astrology & the bible' - where you will find many sites that offer 'information' about such.

Similarly, you can use the words in your search engine: 'Christian astrology' and/or 'Judeo-Christian astrology'.

I think you'll find enough in those places to keep you very busy.

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

3407Love,

There is an interesting "apocryphal book" of the Bible called the "Book of Enoch" which is full of astronomical and astrological information. This book was actually used throughout certain areas of the middle east and particularly in Ethiopia (Abyssinia) where it was venerated as a Holy book of what we would call the Old Testament. Although most modern Christian/Judeo church authorities would not include it in the original Old Testament. It was also venerated by the early church and was often quoted by the early church fathers including Irenaeus, Tertullian and Clement in Alexandria, circa second century. there is some evidence of parts of the book being written about and discussed as late as the 8th century.

The first "recorded" copies where brought to Europe from Ethiopia by a Scotsman named James Bruce in 1773. He obtained three copies written in the language of "Geese". These were not translated however until 1821 by Archbishop Richard Lawrence i England. There is evidence that suggest that the text was available at certain times in Greek and Aramaic.

This book explicitly describes the fixed stars and the constellations and describes many astrological and astronomical events. It is full of encoded astrological information. For instance the "Primary" Fixed Stars are described as the Arch Angels Michael (Watcher of the East)= Aldebaran - 9' 47 Gemini, Oriel(Auriel) (Watcher of the West)=Antares - 9' 46 Sagittarius, Raphael (Watcher of the North)=Regulus - 29' 53 Leo, Gabriel (Watcher of the South)=Fomalhaut - 3' 52 Pisces. Each of these "Fixed Stars" figures very prominently in many different astrological, esoteric and religious practices and doctrine.

I have been reading about the Book of Enoch for some time now, because it relates to some other studies I am doing with regard to some masonic history. Very interesting stuff.

The Old and New Testaments are full of astrological references. Some even clam that John's Revelation is nothing more that astrological events written in an allegorical and religious guise to veil the actual timing and events. Some examples, Romans 1, 19 &20, Genesis 1, etc.. There are countless examples of this and so it should be. These people all had contact and relationships with man's greates cultures and scientists of their time.

You could spend a very long time studying this subject. I am just scratching the surface.
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

3407 LOVE,

There is another interesting book concerning a Christian "take" on astrology. It was written in the 1890's by E.W.Bullinger. It is a very interesting view of astrology strictly interpreted through a Christian lens. I was very fortunate to find a copy at a local garage sale.It was reprint by Kregel Publishing from Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1967. It is very detailed and has many footnotes and annotations sighting very reliable sources.

I am in the process of studying this book now. I can tell you that it is a very interesting and informative read. You can find copies on amazon and I'm sure you may be able to find it elsewhere.
Ketan123

Post by Ketan123 »

strology began as a sort of fortune telling, that the Bible considers associate degree occult, and occasionally, a useless observe. star divination is predicated upon the employment of stars and planets to “read into” a person’s past, present, and future. for several astrologists it's a belief that the position of bound celestial entities have an impression on our lives. For different astrologists there's a belief that there area unit gods in those celestial bodies that impact our lives. The Bible will warn against attend different Gods, tho' few Christians support the thought that the celebrities and planets are literally representations of different Gods.
markpattinson902

Post by markpattinson902 »

Their astrology is the practical case in point of this traditional ecumenism. If, for example, the religion of ancient Rome made gods out of the various planets so that they became objects of public worship, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, etc., then the Church Fathers would condemn the practice as idolatry. This was not because they were directly contesting planetary influence on the earth or even on humans, but because this type of astrology was merely another variety of the pagan religion which they were combating as something rendered obsolete by the coming of the Redeemer. The stars, whatever else they may be, are not surrogates for the transcendental Father Who created them and everything else that exists in our world. They too are creatures, and it is superstition in the Christian sense of that word to offer them the peculiar worship which is proper to God alone. On this point there never was, nor ever can be, any compromise. Incidentally, in this, they were completely in the tradition of the Hebrew prophets who also insisted that Jahweh stands alone above all the pseudo-deities of the gentiles.
Ancient Mayan Predictions
kazman68

Post by kazman68 »

I am very new to Astrology but fairly versed in Bible study and Bullinger is very highly regarded as one of the finest Bible scholars of all time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Am enjoying this discussion very much. Am wondering if anyone has read Isaac Asimov's verson of the Bible ?"http://www.biblequery.org/OtherBeliefs/ ... ovNTQu.htm

Perhaps this might start some responses that could devolve into expletives. Hopefully not, as such are not allowed here. But, all responses are welcome - apart from such.

Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Petra Filiz

Post by Petra Filiz »

I think believers in Christ should have no desire to have any part of astrology, but Christianity is basically sun worship based on astrology.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

there are so many intakes regarding christian astrology i think you should refer those book to have more clear idea about the same